Making Arbitration Work in a Changing World
A Pacific View
A perfect add-on to the Sydney ICCA Congress, the AMINZ-ICCA International Arbitration Day programme is a boutique event to allow you to complement your learning in Sydney, network and have a working holiday in New Zealand.
The programme planning is led by working group chair Sir David A R Williams QC. Other members of programme committee are: Deborah Hart, Simon Foote, Wendy Miles, QC, and John Walton.
The working group members are Sir David A R Williams QC, Dr Petra Butler, Simon Foote, James Hosking, Derek Johnston, Daniel Kalderimis, Paul Key QC, Wendy Miles QC, Audley Sheppard QC, Joe Smouha QC and John Walton.
- April 19, 4pm – 5.30pm: Young ICCA Skills Training Workshop
Careers in Arbitration – An International Perspective,
Sponsored by Bankside Chambers, Heritage Hotel.
This panel discussion will feature international arbitration specialists from New Zealand and around the world, including Sir David Williams QC (Bankside Chambers), Tim Lindsay (Lindsay Litigation and Arbitration), and Dr. Anna Kirk (Bankside Chambers), with further speakers to be announced. It will be moderated by Nicola Swan (Debevoise & Plimpton, London).
- This event is a rare opportunity for practitioners to participate in a career development discussion with international arbitration specialists in an informal setting. The panel discussion will cover career development and advice for those hoping to practice international arbitration, with plenty of opportunity for direct interaction with the panelists. It is aimed at practitioners below partner level.For more information, including on how to register for this YICCA event, please click HERE
- April 19, 7.30pm – late: Casual wine and food experience at Gibbston Valley Winery with traditional Māori welcome. Sponsored by Chapman Tripp.
- April 20, 9am – 5.45pm: Making Arbitration Work in a Changing World: A Pacific View, Heritage Hotel.
- April 20, 7.30pm Gala dinner at Mount Soho Winery. The winery boasts outstanding wines, which will be served all night at the dinner, together with a gourmet dining experience. Sponsored by Debevoise & Plimpton.
- A partner programme for April 20.
The presenters include:
- Hon Christopher Finlayson QC
- ICCA President, Donald Donovan
- Incoming ICCA President, Gabrielle Kaufmann-Kohler
- Past Chair of the UN Security Council, Hon. Justice Gerard van Bohemen
- Sir David A R Williams QC
- AMINZ President, John Walton
- Sophie East
- James Hosking
- Prof. Catherine Iorns
- Jeremy Johnson
- Daniel Kalderimis
- Neil Kaplan QBE QC SBS
- Assoc. Prof. Amokura Kawharu
- Judith Levine
- Wendy Miles QC
- Lucy Reed
- Sir Bernard Rix
- Audley Sheppard
- International law, the Rule of Law and the importance of solving international disputes peaceably
- Climate Change Disputes and the Rights of Affected Populations
- International arbitration in a Brave Uncertain New World
- Treaty of Waitangi and resolution of indigenous disputes: a global model
- Answers to thorny issues:
Gender equity and international arbitration: what’s happening and why?
Do we need emergency arbitrators?
Should we restrict challenges by having an indemnity cost rule?
Confidentiality – is it a necessary evil?
- Korero – A Touch of Kiwi
Should appeals with leave of the court be abolished?
Arbitration of Trust Disputes
New frontiers in the Pacific and / or Antarctica